Tuesday, October 20, 2009

When Everything Seemed to Fall Apart

October 11, 2008, was the day of our wedding shower.  I had decided to have my shower at my parents home.  We set up a tent and tables, while my mom and bridesmaids took care of the food and beverages.  It was a very fun filled day.  I couldn't have asked for a nicer shower. 

One week later, on October 19, my 86 grandmother went into the hospital.  Clint and I drove out to see her.  She seemed in good spirts and was laughing at our jokes.  The next day, I got a phone call at 7am that she passed away.  Conjestive heart failure was to blame.  At this point, I was done planning our wedding.  The joy was gone from it all.  (My grandfather, on my mother's side, had also passed away In March of 2008)  I did not want to attend my bachelorette party, nor throw a rehearsal dinner.  I would of rather just have ran off to Vegas and get hitched.  O what poor Clint went through with me. 

She was such a big part of my life.  She was always dressed to the nines and would NEVER think of leaving the house without her hair and makeup done.  She was as sharpe as a 20 year old and could get around like one also. Yes, she could be super stubborn at times, but what grandparent isn't :-).  She had brought out my creative side, taught me how to sew, paint, and saved every drawing I had done when I was a child. 

Every Christmas time, I would go to her home and decorate her Christmas tree for her.  She loved telling me about every ornament and where she had purchased or got it from.  My grandpa would then come into the room and start telling me how beautiful I am, over and over, as she rolled her eyes.  They were married for 62 wonderful years. 

Today, my grandfather is still the same person, just confused.  He knows she is no long with us, and misses her very much.  It's funny how my family is still grieving till this day over her.

So today, I am sharing my granny with you all.  One of the best grandma's there ever was! 


Christmas time 1962


My Aunt's wedding (Btw, those same curtains hung until the day they moved out of the house and that cabinet behind my grandfather is still in his apartment.)



50th Wedding Anniversary



My cousin's wedding in Key West, FL.

5 comments:

Marcy Tate said...

Your post was really beautiful and your grandmother was one beautiful lady! I am sure she is looking down at you and feeling very proud.

Melanie said...

What great pictures of them together. So sweet.

Kim at Yellow Brick Home said...

Danielle, my grandfather passed away a month after our wedding, last year in December 2008. I understand how painfully sad it can be (and still is), and I think it's wonderful that you've chosen to write about how much she meant to you!

Carrie Nenonen said...

Sadly, I too can relate. My family waited to "pull the plug" on my grandfather until the day after my wedding. *sigh*

The delicate balance of life, how joy and sorrow can intertwine so delicately.

Great tribute...

LizzieBeth said...

Although I am sorry to hear to read of your pain, this was beautifully written. It brought a tear to my eye.

live well, for her.

LB