Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Laundry Room Make Over DONE!

I want to start off showing some befores.  The room wasn't a total mess.  It had great bones to work with.
Since our washer and dryer were on their way out, we decided to spring for new.  With that came inspiration to make the area more user friendly.

Here it is!!

Our basement is unfinished and we have no future plans of finishing it...at least not anytime soon.  So, I had to work with what I had, and on a very tight budget. 

The first purchase, besides the washer and dryer, was paint.  While at Home Depot, I was able to snag a can of "Oops" paint for $5!
That is the pinkish color you see in the area.  We had quite a few cans of paint left at our home when we moved in from the old owners.  One of those cans was an unopened can of oil base white ciderblock paint!  The walls got a refresh.  I used primer for the white stripes because I already had it.

For the shelves, I tried to use what I had already, which ended up working well.  The only items purchased were the pictures on the top shelf for $5 each!  The frames came from the dollar store.
The baskets are from Ikea.  I had them sitting in the basement already and spray painted them white.  They hold dryer sheets.

 
The jars are filled with the lint traps and Oxy Clean.

I have a small stool, purchased from a garage sale years ago for $1, I use because I am too short to reach items on the top shelves.  It needed a face lift.


As for storage, the baskets, jars, and vases all came in handy.  Who doesn't have most of these items around their home??

I used the vases to hold sponges, scrub brushes, any other misc. cleaning items.

I need to work on this area, which is to the right of the dryer.

After that, this area is fully complete!

Items I already had:
- Ikea Hamper
- Ikea baskets
- Ikea laundry organizers (black and white)
- Stool
- Jars
- Vases
- Rag Towels
- Shopping bag holder

Here is the break down of what I spent:
- Hot and Cold Pictures from Joann Fabrics - $5.00 each
- Black Frames from the Dollar Store - $2.00
- Paint - $5.00
- Spray Paint (2 Cans) - $6.00
- Iron Holder from Bed Bath and Beyond- $10.00
- Mop and Broom Holder from Home Depot (under the stairs) - $5.00

Total ------$38.00!! (made a small error and forgot both pictures were $5 each, my bad)

Hope you enjoyed my mini make over that made a BIG difference!

13 comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

Wow, it looks great! I love the shelves and the paint stripes, it's so classy yet functional :)

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Well done - it looks so organized now. I wish mine looked this nice!

elizabeth said...

It's awesome Danielle - I love it - especially the open shelves and stripes on the wall -
wanna come to florida and redo mine?
it's not too warm here though.
Great job

Meg said...

Aw, SO cute! I just love it! What a great transformation for only 33 dollars!!

Jen @ homeinthecountry said...

It looks so much cleaner and more organized now! And for just $33!?! I hope ours looks as nice as yours when we're all done... :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

$33? You rock!

Good call on the color, it really put some life into the space and looks great with those touches of black.

LizzieBeth said...

Hooray for Oops paint!! It really looks great!!

LB

alanna rose said...

How cheerful! I have to say I am envious that you were able to use Oops! paint - I always want to, but the Oops! section at our hardware is always really pathetic.

And that stool - amazing what some spray paint will do, eh? :)

Unknown said...

Wow! I love what you've done here! when you commented on my blog about your own makeover I had to see it right away.

You've used the perfect colors and elements to turn this room into a little retreat.

I am following ya from now on! =D

Dolores said...

Everything looks great! I would love to do laundry at your place!! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I would NEVER have the patience to paint those stripes.

Marcy Tate said...

wow, great job, It gave it just the right little lift. It's so cheery now!

The Brick Cottage said...

What an amazing transformation! And great inspiration--just goes to show that a room doesn't have to be finished to be beautiful.