Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Now You See it, Now You Don't!

Another update to our tool room make over! 

Remember these shelves?  Who could forget!  Clint and I went back and forth on what to do with them.  We wanted the storage, but hated the way they looked.  We considered repairing them, but weren't sure it was worth the money.  They were very sturdy and were not falling apart.  Just real ugly. 

WAYYYY back, I had asked for help and solutions for this space.  The wonderful Sara at Russet Street Reno, gave an awesome suggestion to put up curtains to hide the shelves. 


This has stuck with us since!  Our first thought on this, Ikea of course!  We decided we wanted a track system with panels that slide.  After all the painting was complete, we took a trip out to Ikea and were hugely disappointed in the look and quality of the panels.  They seemed to fray real easily and showed a lot of wear.  We were also going off the samples in the store, which I am sure have been there for years.  But our thoughts were if they looked like this after awhile, how would they look for us?  We just pictured kitty claws all over them.

As we turned around to get our cart, we both saw something that would work perfectly.  The Kajsa Curtains!  But of course, it would not be Ikea without the item you want being out of stock.  Luckily, we found one set, then grabbed inexpensive curtain rod.  

We could not be more happy with the outcome. 

But first, a before...

During....


And After...




Big difference, right?  Thanks again Sara for the fab tip!

We plan to buy one more set of curtains, once they are in stock, because the one set doesn't full cover the shelves.  I also need to hem them.

Bye Bye Clutter!


Check out our tool room progress here!  From the floor, to the work bench, to the shelves.  Who knew it could look this good!

10 comments:

alanna rose said...

Loves it!
Did you know you can check stock levels before you go to IKEA? We always do that, and write down bin #'s etc, before going, it makes the trip easier :)

Jeeps are fab, aren't they? I'm currently on my third :D

Danielle and Clint said...

Hey Alanna Rose! Yes, I did know that about Ikea (great feature by the way), but of course, since we were not buying what we planned on, I wasn't surprised by them not having the item. Silly Ikea.

This is our first Jeep. My family has always had them though. I want a Wrangler so bad!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Wow, that looks great! Im so glad I could help out, the panels you chose are perfect.

Megan Elizabeth Johnson said...

Wow it really does transform the space!
My boyfriends against hanging curtains where they "don't belong" but I'll convert him soon enough :) This pictures might just help!

elizabeth said...

what a great idea!! I think those curtains are perfect - gotta love IKEA

Unknown said...

They turned out great!! I like the design in the panels too

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks good! I really like the curtains.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

They did make all the difference. It looks great!

Shannon said...

You totally made the right move! They look awesome. And I'm a HUGE fan of curtains where they're not expected.

Meg said...

Perfect!! It looks amazing, Danielle! Great job!