Monday, May 3, 2010

Spaces You Never Seen...Our Backyard

OK.  There is a reason you have never seen this space.  It is almost my dirty little secret.  Take a look...I am warning you, it's not pretty.

No, please!  Don't run away!  Really, it's not that bad!  Ok, it really is.

When I moved into my lovely home in December of 2006, I was unaware of something that happens every spring.  Lets just say, it has been termed, Lake Danielle.  Most of our backyard turns into a lake when the snow melts and the ground thaws.  Or when we get heavy amounts of rain.  The reason, the surrounding yards are higher than ours.  Then it becomes a muddy mess.  For 3 years, we have been filling in the yard with fill dirt.  I would estimate around 25 yards so far.  And we have to shovel and wheel barrel every load from our driveway...ugh.

In addition to the lake, the yard was very over grown with weeds.  I had to hire our neighbor boy to help me get rid of the over grown mess! 

Recently, I scored 5 yards of  woodchips, plus delivery free of charge!  We have been lining the yard with the woodchips to help prevent our furry babies from bringing the mud in.

Things we love:

The yard is just enormous!  For the city I live in, I would of never imagined having a yard like this!!  It can also be a bit overwhelming.  So what we have vowed to do is to work from the back of our house, to the back of our yard.  We could easily get distracted and work on different sections, but what would that accomplish?
Small patio area.  It doesn't look like much now, but we have big plans for this area!  When I moved in, I didn't even know there were patio stones already there!  That is how over grown it was!


The clothes line.  I use this baby every spring/summer. 

Things we dislike:

The size.  Yes, it is a great big yard, but it's a great BIG yard! 

The view our neighbors get to see.  I imagine they are not liking us so far...

The shed.  We only have a one car garage, so the shed comes in handy for yard storage, but it is a haven for unwelcomed guests.  I am referring to rats.  Our city has had a rat issue for quite some time and our shed was not built on a cement base.  I don't actually see the rats, but they have dug lots of holes under our shed, that the dogs just love to smell.  You can see our before and after pictures of the shed here.  AND squirrels have found ways to get into the shed during the winter.  We are always walking into it with caution.

One of our 2010 goals was to get this yard into shape!  So far, we have made a good amount of progress.  Our budget may not be large, but we love a challenge!  So, this summer, look for the befores and afters!

Here are the future plans.

11 comments:

Scientific Housewife said...

It's not too bad looking, lol. We have a smaller backyard with a small oak tree but no grass whatsoever, just weeds. We will eventually till it all up and put grass seed down but I like your plan!

elizabeth said...

I love your plan and how detailed it is - I am anxious to see your finished photos - It's amazing what a bit of landscapting and grass can do -
I love the size of your yard too - especially being the city I bet you are the envy of everyone around you!!!

kristi.w. said...

Oooh I can't wait to see how it turns out! Your back yard still isn't as bad as mine. :)

Mrs. Limestone said...

Your backyard is such a great space! (i have a postage sized backyard so my perspective is quite skewed). So much potential! Im sure it will look amazing in no time.

PS: Thanks for your comment on my blog. Im not sure if you were serious but you can absolutely purchase my travel book if you would like a copy. If you click on the book name in my blog, it will take you to the website where you can add it to your cart. No pressure but just thought I'd let you know since you mentioned it.

Unknown said...

Your have a great backyard! I like your plans to update it, we have a large backayrd thats's feels so overwhemling too - weeds, bushes we dont like etc. We just re-seeded out our backyard over the weekend, and are in need of tons of mulch! Your have me green with mulch envy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do, but it will be so worth it! Can't wait to see the results!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

It's going to be so nice when you are done! I dream about having a lovely big yard someday.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Yikes! That looks like a challenge for sure. You guys are so resourceful, I know you will do a great job with this yard.

Meg said...

It really isn't that bad! I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. The important thing is that you've got a fabulously big yard with tons of potential!

I already see it transforming into an adorable space to match the rest of your to-die-for house! Can't wait to follow the progress!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Trust me, our back yard was so bad at first. I think yours will be awesome. I'm jealous of your mature trees. We had no trees in our yard, except one lonely pine in the front yard. I would kill for those trees. (Well, maybe kill is an overstatment.)

Good luck with the beautification. Cannot wait to see it at the end.

brokeintrovert said...

Our yard looks much, much worse. I'm sure when you're done it will look much better. Our neighbors hate us because of our backyard...oh well...we had plans...but we've had some real budget busters this spring...the yard will have to wait...again.